5 Tips for preventing frozen pipes:
1. Drain the entire house's systems if you won't be using it for the winter and the heat will be off.
2. If your home will be unattended and you'd like to keep the heat on - keep it at a minimum of 55 degrees.
3. Drain all unused outside lines such as hoses and hose spouts.
4. Insulate or add heat tape to all hot and cold water lines in unheated or poorly heated areas of your home.
5. Keep access doors and windows close but do open cabinet doors under sinks.
5 Tips for dealing with icicles:
1. Whenever possible remove snow from your roof with a snow rake.
2. Keep gutters, drains and downspouts clear of buildup.
3. Knock icicles down with a long pole and use personal safety precautions.
4. Do not use open-flame or electrical heating devices to melt the icicles.
5. Consider roof ice melt systems the next time your roof is replaced.
Bill Pearn Masonry Blog
Quality construction does not only build structures, it also builds: town pride, small business opportunity, beautiful neighborhoods, home equity, and ultimately better lives.
More articles are available on the individual topic pages.
Blog Home Page